Friday 17 May 2024

Veritas in The Square Closing Today After Just 18 Months

I was very surprised to see in this week's Irish Catholic a report stating that the Tallaght branch of Veritas was going to close on Friday 17th May. Yes, the closing surprised me but what surprised me far more was discovering that Veritas had a branch in The Square, not far from Saggart where I live.   I never knew about it at all!  How did that happen,  I wondered. I had often, when in town, dropped into the big shop on Lower Abbey Street and browsed through the shelves.  And now it was too late to see what the shop in The Square was like. I looked it up on google maps, and found the location (on street view, dated September 2022) but the oratory was there still. With this, I rang the shop and spoke to a lady assistant. I learned that it opened in November 2022 and had built up a good enough clientele in due course. Yes, this was their last day, a sad one for all the staff, she said. I sympathised with her and apologised for not being aware of their existence until now.  The photo below (found on google maps) shows the shop as it was in February 2023 -- proclaiming "Now Open". Alas, now in May of the following year, it is closing.  Hopefully the company will continue in some new form.